Saturday, October 24, 2009

October

My trip to Philly went great. I came up at the perfect time of the year when the leaves are changing, and Heidi and I made full use of that by going to parks and taking walks. I think the coolest thing was going to see Eastern State Penitentiary which was pretty creepy even in the daytime. They have a haunted house there at night which I'm sure is just down right spooky. I have to wait and see her until Thanksgiving when she comes down here. I think it's pretty cool because this year it's at Aunt Dianne's who Heidi has gotten to know and like through Facebook. Thanksgiving is quite possibly my favorite holiday of the year-- it's hard to beat the family + food combination.

On the negative side, this month has already been really tough. You might think that because I've fallen in love again, it would make it easier to get through the anniversary of Jessica's death... not so much. I find myself tearing up all the time-- especially when it comes to Jadyn's birthday. It's hard to get past the contrast of wanting to celebrate Jadyn's birthday with trying to cope with Jessica's death. Jadyn's having her party today and she is so excited.

Let me leave you with a Yikes story. Jadyn and Bryn were talking about Pre-K. They wanted to know why they went to different schools. I told Jadyn that to qualify for going to public school for Pre-K you had to either be learning to speak English or not make enough money. She got to go to Corey Elementary because I made just under the cap. However, the next year I made just over the max, so Bryn went to the Mother's Day Out program at Fielder Road Baptist Church. Then they asked the difference between the two. I told them that Bryn's school was more play and was only two days a week, but they still learned things while Jadyn's school was every day and focused more on learning things. When Jadyn heard that, she proudly said, "Then, I'm smarter." Not be outdone, and without mising a beat, Bryn grinned and said, "And I'm funner."

4 comments:

Al Rearick said...

Great story, Jake! I can just see those two saying that!

Great post, too. Glad that Jadyn had a good time today.

I hope there's something we can do for y'all this week, even if it's something as simple as just praying for y'all.

Al

Anonymous said...

10/29/09
Thinking of you all especially today and praying that you have lots of joyful memories to carry you through the day. A special happy birthday to Jadyn!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

I am happy that you have fallen in love again-I am still waiting to see what God has in store for me as far as love goes:) Jake, I miss seeing the girls at Wood, but love my new job at Millwood hospital. It is truly a blessing to be at Millwood! Jake, you and the girls look great! I can see God is taking good care of y'all:) Have a great week! Peace In Christ, Pam G.

Alpha 1 Vann Clan said...

Thinking of you and your girls lately!
Kim