Monday, May 19, 2008

My testimony

Sometimes the Lord impresses on me to share my testimony. Today, during my quiet time with the Lord, was one of those times.

I grew up knowing about God and Jesus. We went mostly to various Catholic churches where I attended Sunday schools and learned all the Bible stories. We later began going to mass mostly on holidays, and we always knew the true meaning of those holidays. My mom would sometimes take us to other churches. I was searching for something, I just did not know what.

Fast forward to age 21. My family was moving back to Arlington from El Paso, TX. I was at a pretty low point, not sure what I wanted to do with my life. But, I knew I had a precious 10 month old that needed more from me too. God was leading me to Arlington. He knew the plan.

Not long after moving back home (I lived in Arlington from age 2-12) my mom and I started to go the church that my aunt went to, Lake Arlington Baptist Church. Here, I heard almost ever week about a God that wants a relationship with me. I had not ever heard that before. I had heard about Moses, and Adam and Eve and Jonah. I had even heard about Jesus’ birth and death on the cross. But, never about a relationship. I knew that was something I was interested in. I knew there was something missing in my life. God knew that I was missing a God-sized whole in my heart that only He could fill.

After several weeks, God prompted me to pray a simple prayer, with what little I knew right then, to put my trust in Him. I understood that I was separated from God because of my sin, but that Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross as the only way for me to spend eternity with God. I, right then, declared Jesus to be the Lord of my life and I committed to live every day for Him and with Him.

It was an amazing day for me, filled with hope. It was a decision I made in the quiet of my heart, but I knew it was as real as anything I have every experienced.

My life did not do a complete 180. I still had problems and struggles. But, I now had a God on my side to turn to when I messed up, and to help me get back on the path He had for me. It was a path that soon led me to my husband, who also came to know the Lord around the same time I did, even though we met a few years later. God was joining and guiding our paths all along.

God continues to guide me each day. I still have hard days, and I still mess up. God has also grown me up a bit and I learn from Him all the time. I praise God that He chooses to use me in any way. I pray I am always open to His prompting.

Thanks for letting me share. I pray you have a blessed day. Today, with many uncertainties, I pray “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” Philippians 4:6-7. A long time ago, my friend Kara gave me a CD, Seeds of Courage, with Bible verses put to cool music. This is one of those, so I will be praying this verse in song all day!

Love,
Jess

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

jess,
Once again, you are so amazing and Christ like. I am so blessed our paths crossed. We love and pray for all of you!
Stegall's

Anonymous said...

Jess, I was thinking about you this morning and remembering what I wrote to you a while back when all this started. I said God would use you in this journey and boy howdy, has he ever!!!! I'm filled with joy with your attitude and the sharing you are doing. I'm going to NY this week to visit family that doesn't know the Lord and your little short witness gave me hope in sharing with them. Also, if you will look at the names in the c.d.you received you'll see my son-in-laws name. Elliott Park. He wrote and sang some the verses (he didn't write the verses....you know what I mean). Love ya, Sharon

Lynne said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories...you are such an amazing person-- touched by grace. With all our love, support and prayers.

Dave and lynne

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony. I am blessed every time I read your blogs. Your attitude is amazing.
Praying for you,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Jessica, Thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony. The Phillipians verses your quoted are ones I cling to daily. When the anxious times start to creep in, I make myself stop and remember to turn everything over to our wonderful God. Praying for you.
Blessings, Beverly

Anonymous said...

Jess,
I am so touched by your words and amazed at your strength. Thank you sharing your bible study thoughts and your testimony. You have blessed me this evening. :) Thank you!

Praying for you,
Bonnie Duron

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
I came to see how your journey is going. Wow, you are amazing person-actually, I should say that you have truly given God all of you, so God can be a great person in you. I am blessed to have had lunch with you and to know you. Keep fightin' girl!!

"Indeed, I am doing a new thing. It is springing up right now, do you not see it coming? I will make a path through the wilderness, rivers in the desert."
Isaiah 43:16-19

Unknown said...

Jessica,
As always I am inspired and in awe of your words of grace and wisdom. Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us. You are amazing, just like your Mom.You and yours are in our hearts and prayers.
Love to you,
Nancy Oakley
(one of your Mom's friends)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

To God be the glory! Jess, I am inspired by you. Thank you for letting Him do great things in and through you.
Love,
Amy

Tessa said...

My dad would be proud!
Tessa