Sunday, May 25, 2008

Home sweet home!

Hi all!

Thank you for your prayers and support, phone calls and visits as we made the monumental switch to life at home. I had entered the lovely Scripps Memorial hospital in La Jolla, CA on March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) and I was discharged from the Zale Lisphy Rehab unit at 4:00 on May 23rd. It has been almost 2 1/2 months of being away. Coming home fills me with joy. I love watching the girls do normal things and be able to talk to them about the littlest things whenever I want to. They have been "just visiting" their mom for so long! I will say that it has been a quick transition back to life at home in that respect. Life here seems just as I left it.

Friday, I was able to see the big surprise waiting for me with a new, fabulous spa-like bathroom! It is breathtaking. Several wonderful ladies and their husbands came to do a complete makeover on our bathroom. It started with widening the door so I could get in with my wheelchair to use the shower. But, it turned into a complete room make over worthy of any HGTV show with huge tile replacing the old carpet, new paint (which meant taking down 1979 era wallpaper!) new mirror, new lighting, towels, sconces, picture frames... it is breathtaking and I love it. Thank you so much for all of you involved. I want to just stay there the whole day!

Every day home has brought its challenges, but it does seem like things are getting easier. The first day I was crying that I don't think I was ready to come home. Today, I went to church, and am sitting on the couch typing this on the computer. I am so glad Jake is more patient than I am. I think I would have put myself into time out a few times by now! We are managing fine and I know that each day home will be more and more normal, at least become our new-normal.

PT and OT will come throughout the week. Jake mentioned I will have radiation for 11 more days beginning Tuesday. Tuesday is my last day for my spine and I will have ten days for my right pelvis/leg. I am not looking forward to the long drives out to Dallas, but I remind myself that it is only 10 days and it will help in pain relief to that side, as well as freeze those tumors! I have follow-up appointments with every doctor imaginable in the coming weeks and months. I hope to see Dr. Haley Thursday or Friday to start my new chemo plan. She spoke to me last week about an oral chemo regimen that I might be able to try. I will let you know as soon as I know.

I am looking forward to seeing you all.


Nancy said...

The image of you being at home just sitting on the sofa fills me with joy because this is the first "normal" for you in very long time. I hope all goes well for you and please let me know if you need anything at all. Keep up the amazing spirit; I don't think you know what an inspiration you are for so many folks.

Nancy Oakley

Anonymous said...

Welcome back home Jess. What a blessing to you and your family. It's ok to cry. It makes you feel better at times. :-)

Anonymous said...


Welcome home!


Lynne said...

How wonderful to read your post and know that you are home with your girls and Jake...enjoy and know you continue in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Dave and Lynne

Natalie said...

We are so glad you are home! We will pray that each day is easier and will be even more 'normal'. Can't wait to see pics of the new bathroom!

Steph from YSC said...


I am soooooo glad you are back home- you have been through way too much this past 2 1/2 months. Your strength inspires and amazes me. I'm so glad I got to spend that day at the beach with you and Natalie in Florida. You are such a special person. Good luck with the radiation- I hope your pain lessons quickly.

Amy said...

Hey Girl,
I remember after my c-section (nothing compared to what you've been through), I wasn't all that keen on being at home. I will be praying and knowing that God will continue to help you and your fabulous family transition. We love you guys. A lot.
-Amy, Erik, Luke, and Paul