Friday, July 15, 2005

Good news for the doctor!

Hi all, sorry for the delay in getting this great news out; yesterday was pretty busy. My meeting with Dr. Haley went very well! We laid out a plan for the next months…a plan! I have never received such a long plan! Up to this point, it has been: we’ll attack this cancer as hard and as long as we have to. When I would ask in the past how many more treatments, or what is next, I would get: we’ll see how the scans look, or you have a special case with a lot of spreading, we don’t know the number you’ll need.

Well, no more wondering. At least not yet, anyway! I had a full round of my three week dose of chemo yesterday. In three weeks, August 4th, I will go in for my FINAL round of a 3 week dose! At that appointment, I will also be scheduled for an appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Euhus, and get an MR of my breast and underarm where the tumors still are.

I remember Dr. Euhus saying in an initial consultation that we might never be at the point where we will be doing surgery, and here we are!

My genetics results came in and I am negative for the mutative gene that predisposes you to breast cancer! I did not know quite what this meant for me. I knew it meant a lot for my daughters, sisters, and cousins, but I found out yesterday that not having this mutation helps me in terms of lessening my chance of a primary occurrence and ovarian cancer.

I was hoping to be put on weekly chemo yesterday, so that was my only mental setback. I was ready for fewer side effects, and I thought that was the path I wanted. Dr. Haley said she will probably send me for radiation after surgery and then some sort of weekly chemo for a short time after taking scans to see how we’re doing.

It is all very good news indeed! Please pray for this round of chemo, because I am already a little sick to my stomach, which is a little early for that yet. My stomach was a little irritated even before chemo, so maybe that contributes to that. Jake’s mom came into town yesterday, and will be staying for a week. It was great to see her, and the kids have already bonded with her...playing games, reading books, dressing up, they have done it all! She will be a big help to us this week while I recoup and she and Jake have some great fix-it projects around the house already planned.

Sorry for the long blog this time…lots of good news to report.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep hanging in there Jessica. Everytime I read your blogs they are about good things happening and that is what we all want. I will pray that you will get thru this last treatment better than any of the others. The Lord continues to do great healing with you. Praise God!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jessica. Whew! I was almost holding my breath waiting for your blog today! Thanks. I'm glad you have a plan, but I hope you also realize that there's always been a plan even if we can't see it. I am positive that God never wanted you to go through this, but I'm also positive that God's plan for you is always at least one loving step ahead of ours. Have you ever watched a movie called "What About Bob?". It's a silly (very silly) movie with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfess. There's a part in there about baby steps that hit home with me and got me thinking about babies learning to walk. They take steps with joy, fear and anxiety, but they end up in a different, better place. Yep, they sometimes trip and fall and hit their head on the coffee table, but soon they're at it again taking one baby step at a time. Baby steps are wonderful. I thank God for all the baby steps, hops and skips you have made on your unplanned journey. You are truly wonderful. I pray for you daily. I will thank God for your new plan and ask for strength to 'baby step' it through on the days you can't gallop (which is what I know you'd like to do!).

P.S. My favorite picture of you is the one on the beach in Santa Barbara. It always brings a smile to me when I think about it!

Anonymous said...

When prayers go up, blessings must come down!

Praise the Lord!

Laurie S.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news...we are so happy for you!!!!

with love and hugs to all the Kaylors

The Bangsunds

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, Jess! The Lord is GOOD! I await the next "praise report" of the awesome progress you are making.

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

I am so excited to hear your great news! I am also not surprised by this because so many are praying and God still does miracles like this. He knew you would be a great example to work a miracle in. I hope to see you soon!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

FOR MONTHS...I have just read your blog...you need to know that from day one, my thoughts were with you. I met your mom many years ago and I know your aunts and your granparents pretty well! I check your blog daily and I pray for you daily. I live in New York with your Aunt Janette... I love her and she loves you. Therefore, all of us love you and pray for you on a daily basis. I am so happy that there is so much positive news!

Amy Sayegh said...

Jessica, You have no idea what an inspiration you are. You put hope in my heart. I am so happy for you. You can do 2 more treatments! It's so funny that you and I started out together when we were both diagnosed and now we both have just 2 treatments left. I continue to pray for you, and I am confident that you will be able to put this cancer behind you! Just keep thinking about that day.
Love, Amy in NY

PS - Your Aunt Janette is such a blessing! I appreciate your family "lending" her to us! She is always there for me when I get my treatments, and any other time. What a great friend!