Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Jadyn's hips... and hip hop!

I took Jadyn to Scottish Rite today for her yearly check of her hips. The X-ray showed no signs of improvement, even though she had a great physical exam: her hip had great rotation, and she is walking and running normally. However, eventually she would have problems with her hips if left untreated (arthritis and early hip replacement...) because her socket is not deep enough. He gave me some leeway on the date, so I am going to figure out my surgery first and book hers a little later. In the Kaylor family, you have to wait your turn with major problems. Unfortunately, no one has been following that rule! I see many good things about this, even though it was not the news we wanted: 1st, it is a correctable problem. Dr. Johnston says he has great success getting a perfect hip with this method. 2nd, Scottish Rite is a free orthopedic hospital, so this hospital stay is completely covered. And, we have some time to deal with it (just needs to be done before she turns 5). When we decide to do it, she will surgically have pins put in her hip to pull the socket into place, she will have a body cast over 1 full leg and I think half of the other for 6 weeks. Then they'll take the pins out and the leg/hip should begin to grow correctly.

Speaking of hips...
Tonight I took a hip hop dance class at the Y. If any of you are feeling down and want some good entertainment, you can come to my next class to watch me make a complete fool of myself with dancers that are about 17 and many others with just a ton of rythm. I do it because it's the best workout I get all week, and the time flies by. And, I fit right in with my do rag-bandana. It really is a good mind break. It's my goal this round to make it to this class on Saturday.

Tomorrow I am off to my 6 of 6...my 6th round of my 6th treatment. I am not necessarily looking forward to it, but I am excited that it is the last of this type! God has assuredly gotten me this far, I know I can do one more with His help. I am not expecting Dr. Haley to tell me much of anything new tomorrow. I think she will set up my appointment with the surgeon, Dr. Euhus. It is after that surgery consultation appt. that Drs. Euhus and Haley will meet to discuss the next phase of my treatment. I love that at Southwestern, the doctors are all part of a team. It really helps to have that unified plan of attack.

Thanks for thinking and praying for our family this week! We feel lifted up all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,

It is so good to hear from you on the posting! I am thinking of you often. I hope to see you more this fall in Bible Study. That is great that you fit some fun things into your schedule.

See ya soon!
Wendy Casas

Anonymous said...

WOW -- The Kaylors sure know how to make full use of medical coverage. So glad that Jayden is not bothered by her hip at this time and that surgery can wait until life slows down a bit for all of you...
Our thoughts and prayers are with you today as you have your last big treatment...
hugs dear Jess
Love,
Lynne