Sunday, June 12, 2005

Fun in the Sun

Jessa and I left Thursday to go her brother Alex's graduation in Santa Barbara, California. Her dad Mike here in Arlington gave us some Southwest passes and her dad Bob in Portland paid for us to upgrade to a Mustang Convertible. Consequently, the two hour drive from LAX to Santa Barbara was made a pleasant one with the top down with temperatures in the 70s. When we left Arlington it was a typical Texas summer in the 90s. Jess and I went to the beach, moped riding (Jessica like it so much she now wants a motorcycle), and to a fabulous dinner after Alex's outdoor graduation. It was great because Jess got to see her brother graduate and we got some much needed time together. I really appreciate Jessa's mom Judy for loving on our kids all weekend while we were gone.

On another note, Jessa's port is infected again. Surgery is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday. I'm having to give Jess shots again, but just once a day. It's just a day surgery so Jess should still be able to do arts and crafts all week at Vacation Bible School.

I got a letter from a pastor and his wife pointing out something I didn't realize in the Meshack story (they even spelled the names correctly). It seems that they were sure that God would save them. What they were unsure about was if the king would change his mind about throwing them in the furnace. Their faith amazes me because in the moment they stepped into the furnace they were able to trust God whole-heartedly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
We will be thinking of you on Tuesday while you go through the port procedure. Glad you were able to get to California for some family time. That is important.

Love,
Aunt Janette

Anonymous said...

Jess,

You don't know me but, I know of you as my son is a student at YJH, I am as AISD employee and we go to LABC. I have previously emailed with Jake and explained that I was doing the Breast Cancer 3-Day and I would like to honor you as I walked. The walk was this past weekend and below is the letter I emailed to all of my friends, family and supporters.

You are continually in my thoughts and prayers. Your faith and courage are inspiring beyond words.

Take care and God bless!

Lynan

I survived the Breast Cancer 3-Day!!!!!!!! I justed wanted to thank you again for all of your thoughts, prayers, words of encouragement and sponsorship. This past weekend was truly an amazing experience full of memories I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I could have never imagined that I would have such a life changing experience participating in the Breast Cancer 3-Day.

One of the breast cancer survivors was asked why she participated in the 3-Day and her reply was....."because it's easier than chemo." Try to imagine walking 60 miles in the Texas heat and humidity, on every type of terrain you can imagine with little or no shade as your blisters grow blisters, your heat rash is spreading like wildfire and your muscles feel like they are being worked over with electric shock therapy..........and she says it is easier than chemo.

It was my privelage to walk in honor of my mother-in-law Nina, my dear friend Brenda, our friend's sister Shannon and the young wife of a teacher at Jake's school Jessica; who are all in the battle against breast cancer. These amazing ladies were in my heart and prayers with every step I took and my inspiration to make it to the finish line.

Thank you again for your support of the Susan G. Komen Foundation and their efforts to eradicate breast cancer as a life threatening disease.

Sincerely,

Lynan

Anonymous said...

Jessica and Jake -- We are so happy to read that you had a great trip to Santa Barbara for Alex's graduation -- the Mustang must have made for a great ride.

We will be thinking of you all tomorrow as the port is being removed.

With all our love and prayers
Dave and Lynne