Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Report on the Port

Hi there!

Well for the second time, I went into to Dr. Euhus' office for him to remove my port and it was feeling fine (of course!) So, he decided not to remove it today. He felt it and now feels with certainty that it is not infected. Therefore, he is going to remove it Thursday afternoon in surgery and put a new one in right away.

Before, he wanted to remove the port and let the "infection" heal, then put a new one in. Now that there is no infection, he can remove and replace at one time.

I was kind of wondering why it has to be removed at all without an infection, but Dr. Euhus said there is something wrong, maybe a small hole that makes the drugs leak a little, a block in the line, etc... because it swells up, hurts, then feels fine, swells up, hurts...

So, in the long run this is a good thing. I was a little nervous getting my port out just in the doctor's office with a just a local anesthetic. Now, he'll put me under and do it all at the same time. Also, I will not have to have my chemo round 4 in my arm, they will be able to use my new port Monday.

The port procedure will be this Thursday at 3:30. Thanks for your prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
What great news that there was no infection! You are always in our prayers and we will say a special one for you on Thursday!
The basketball game was great last night and we are thrilled that Katelyn is playing. She's a great athlete. See you tomorrow night!
God is Good.
Carrie P.

Anonymous said...

You totally amaze us with your strength, courage and energy. What wonderful genes you must have!
You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.
If you need a break from your everyday duties, come hang out with us on our Slip and Slide! We think you can teach us a thing or two.
We love you Cousin Jess,
Zander and Kaylee

Anonymous said...

Jessica -- you indeed are incredible. So glad to hear you can have both procedures at once...and this may do a lot to help you feel better through your treatments.

with hugs and prayers
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

I am always in awe of your faith and love for God. You and Jake inspire me for your love and trust in each other and the Lord. I have been praying for you and your family since I first learned of your cancer thru your mom and aunt Jacque with whom I teach with at Corey. I enjoy reading your stories each day and am amazed at all you have gone thru and all the wonderful kind people pulling for you and Jake. Keep fighting Jessica. Good luck with your new port and next treatment. You can do it!!