Tuesday, June 28, 2005

PET scan results

Greetings all! I am coming out of my best round yet (#4). It was not as easy as my “plan”, but it was definitely better than normal. And, as an added bonus, I did not end up in the hospital as I have on my last two rounds. Right now, I am feeling pretty good. Jake has mentioned this before, but the middle ground is hard. I feel good enough to come home, but have to deal with a nagging, upset stomach that is more irritating than painful for several more days.

But, my point of this entry is not to tell you about my symptoms in the game of chemo. I got a call from my oncologist’s nurse, Terre, yesterday with my PET/CT scan results. Our conversation started like this; Terre: “Hi Jessica, are you at a point where I can read you results and you can write them down?” Me: (happy for the call, but worrying about all the stuff I was about to have to write down!) “Sure”, I say. Terre: “It’s all good news.”

And it was. It was the kind of news that just creates more questions, but it was great news. The scan showed no new growth! But better news was the many “spots” that showed up last time, were now showing up as “treated disease”. Terre explained to me that it would be like seeing scar tissue on a scan. It is not scar tissue, but it is evidence that I once had tumor spots and they have been treated , and are essentially not there any more.

In case you are new to my story, I had “spots” showing up on my last PET scan on my breast, auxiliary, nodes in my lungs, kidney, liver, abdomen, spine, and clavicle.

The scan still shows spots on my right breast and auxiliary area (… that’s my arm pit!).

I started asking Terre all these questions that I really just needed to wait until my appointment with Dr. Haley and ask her (on July 14th). Like, what does this mean for my treatment; can I just have surgery now; how many more rounds; will I always see evidence of treated disease or will that go away too…….

Terre kindly directed me to Dr. Haley, and then said that they like to take a scan like this after several rounds to see if they are on the right path with my treatment and on the right cancer drug mix. I think, quite loudly, that answer was yes.

Thank you for praying with me. We can celebrate together this one victory. I am excited about what is to come.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, good news!!! I was so glad to hear the information from your mom yesterday (I made sure she put me on the 'A' list for info). We are praying for continued successful outcomes. In the meanwhile, enjoy the summer!

All our love,
Janette, Gene, Ryan and Mark

Anonymous said...

Gloria a Dios!

So happy to hear your great news! God is so amazing when he gives us blessing beyond our understanding. He does it I think to encourage you as you are recovering from your "rounds" to know that all is working for your betterment and for His Glory. I send you a great big hug from our West and will continue to have you all in our prayers.

In His Love,

John, Elena and the Boyz

Anonymous said...

I am doing cartwheels for you Kaylors!! What a MIGHTY AWESOME God we serve indeed!!! I'm so thankful that you got such fantastic news!! We are still praying for you guys daily and will continue to. What a great victory!!

Love,
The Tuttles

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
What great news! You have made my day! Enjoy your kids & know that there are many people cheering you on! You are such an inspiration..
From New York,
Kristin Severino

Amy Sayegh said...

I am in tears! I am so happy for you! Good news, indeed. It is only going to get better.
Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

God is good Jessica and Jacob! I prayed to our wonderful Lord and thanked Him for His wonderful help as soon as I read about your scan. Keep your head up Jessica it's only going to get better. Praise God

Anonymous said...

Fabulous News!!! enjoy the time with your Dad and know that we are cheering for you all. You continue in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Lynne

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting Jessica! Praise God! I will continue to pray everyday for your complete healing. Take this time and good news and enjoy your precious family, you deserve it!