Thursday, June 2, 2005

Great joy!

Yesterday I had a pretty busy day. Not out of the ordinary, just busy. When I am recuperating at my grandmother's house after chemo its all about relaxing and resting...basically all about me. I have to make myself leave when I am feeling better because I could plant my permanent residence there! When I get home, there is no slow fazing-in of mommy; I am home, and things are steamrolling along like normal. My saving grace is that it is summer and Jake has decided to stay home this summer to help me instead of teaching summer school. He has been true to his word, helping in every way.

Last night, I had gotten home pretty late and Jake told me he was going to take a shower. That alone was pretty unusual for him, but I said okay and went to tuck in Katelyn. I heard the water running and running...and running. When I walked in the living room and Jake was reading the paper, I asked him if I could turn off the water until he was ready! Jake probably would not admit this, but he is pretty notorious for starting his shower in the morning and then remembering he has to do several things before getting in, all the while water is a running! So, this was not quite an unusual question for us. He said no, but led me into the bathroom where he had drawn a bubble bath for not himself, but me. It was so relaxing at the end of a long day, and just a reminder of the many blessings I have pouring out all around me!

I was reading my friend Amy’s blog about her cancer journey, amysayegh.blogspot.com, and I realized she was running around doing tons of stuff in between chemo rounds too. I think it makes me feel better to do normal mom things too. Yes, I get tired after accomplishing simple tasks I probably used to be able to do with one hand (while doing something else with the other hand!) But it still feels good to do them. Now, I am slower, but I was probably doing them too fast before anyway. Sometimes slowing down was like the long bath I had last night; it lets you remember the joy in what you do. And trust me, the normal mom things like brushing hair, reading books, coloring, listening to "ideas" and stories, all bring me great joy! (In case your kids don't do this, "ideas" are when you suggest something to do with your child, and she says with gleaming eyes "I have an even better idea!”)

Take care!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,
What an awesome husband! You two are so refreshing to read about. Also, about the slowing down thing, enjoy every second....
Love you Jess :)

Amy Sayegh said...

Hi Jess,
I'm so glad to hear you are taking things slow and being cherished along the way. That is what God meant when he put you and Jake together. To cherish each other. I have a book to mail you, I'm just moving a little slow, too! God bless you!!! You are an inspiration to me and I can't wait to meet you someday soon, when we are both in remision!! You Texan's are awesome. Thanks for your prayers, too.
Love,
Amy Sayegh

Amy Sayegh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
There are not many things better then being spoiled and able to rest at Grandma's (MeMaws) house, except maybe a bubble bath! (Maybe a bubblebath at Grandmas??).

Good for you for receiving both. You have earned it.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Aunt Janette

Anonymous said...

Jess-- It was wonderful to read your joyful post -- at those times when life slows us down we really do have the opportunity to relish the important moments in life -- like brushings a child's hair and lounging in a bubble bath. Great job Jake!!!!
Love,
Lynne and Dave