Thursday, June 16, 2005

The new port is in

Well, after so much up and down about my port, I finally have a new one in! Dr. Euhus sucessfully put in the new port this afternoon. It is in the same place, just running up a different path (into the jugular vien). I feel sore, but I am feeling even better than I did the first go-round.

When I got my first port in, I did not remember a thing. So, I thought it would be the same for this time. I should have known a little differently when the nurse anesthetist and several doctors came in and said I would feel drowsy and very comfortable, but would probably be awake. I told at least 4 different people that they could just knock me out--no problem--I did not want to feel a thing! However, I was awake for most of it. It was not too bad. I did feel a little pain and after telling them nicely (not really) that it hurt, they gave me more drugs. It was actually pretty interesting to hear the operating room banter. I am also amazed at the number of people in the operating room. No wonder it costs so much; I'm paying for a dozen people's hourly wages!

Well, that's the update! Have a great weekend :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

I am so glad to hear that you have a new port that will hopefully eliminate all the complications for you. I just want to let you know I am still praying for you and thinking of you. If you have any spare time give me a call.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Jess,

At least that is over with now and you can enjoy the weekend with your family and rest up for next weekend. I will keep good thoughts that this is the last time you have problems with your port.

Amy Sayegh said...

Jessica,
Just want you to know I'm thinking about you. When I went in for my chemo on Tuesday, I wore my "Journey with Jessica" bracelet. We're going through this together! It's not easy, but we can do it. You are so strong and positive. Keep it up!!! You are an inspiration to me.
Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Jess-
I feel so blessed to know you and to read how inspirational you and Jake are to me. Truely, genuine servants of the Lord. I do pray for you daily and you are in my mind many times throughout the day. Enjoy this Father's Day weekend with Jake and the girls, stay strong and don't give up the fight, we are here to re-tie those boxing gloves and put you back in the ring to knock out those cancer cells. (Can you tell I grew up with 3 brothers and have 2 boys!?!?) OK, next blog I'll have to come up with something "girly"! Love you Jess.

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Dear Jacob & Jessica...

Really glad to get the good information on the new port; also the prayers and support you are receiving from your Church and friends.

Both of you continue to be in our prayers.

God bless,
Jay Graham
(from Jacob's BSF Class)