Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Good news...and we really needed some good news!

I recieved a call from my genetic counselor today concerning my BRACA 1 and 2 test. This is the genetic test that will see if I have a genetic mutation that pre-disposes me to breast cancer. This is also the test that my insurance carrier told me is billed as an "out of network" lab and would require my out of network deductible to be met before they would pay anything. And even after my deductible was met, they said they would pay 50%. Basically this meant I would have to pay for the $3,000 test on my own. The genetic counselor filed an appeal with my insurance explaining to them that this lab in Salt Lake City owned the patent on the gene mapping for the BRACA 1 and 2 genes and are the only lab in the country that can do this test.

So, my insurance changed the lab from out of network to IN!! And, since I have met my deductible, they will pay 100% of the testing!! This is wonderful and a huge answer to prayer because after looking at my policy, I did not see an easy way for them to approve this test. In fact, I read an easy way for them to deny coverage.

This test will help my doctors down the road with my treatment; give me knowledge and forsight to help my sisters and daughers; and it helps to either cancel out the idea or discover why I have breast cancer. It is just an extra piece of good information to have, and I am so excited to not have to make the decision about whether or not to pay the $3000 out of pocket!

The test takes three weeks as the lab will spend a lot of time counting tiny bits of DNA three times over. I amazed at scientific breakthroughs!

Speaking of breakthroughs, I was talking to my surgeon in preparation for this port procedure tomorrow and he mentioned I was Her2 negative. This means I might not keep taking Herceptin like I have been. I was a little sad because this drug Herceptin has been in the news so often in the last few months as being a "wonder drug" for Her2 positive cancer patients. I asked Dr. Euhus if there was as good of drug for people that are Her2 negative. He said there was not one as good as Herceptin yet, but within 2 years, they will have 10 drugs available that will help people as precicely and with few side effects (like Herceptin) that will target every breast cancer cell. This is huge, and 2 years is so short a time to wait. More good news! I could hear this stuff all day!

I will let you know how the port exchange goes late tomorrow evening...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
I'm glad to hear that you received good news, and pray that good news keeps coming over the next few weeks as your procedures continue. You sure have earned it. Keep your head up about Herceptin - it is not a closed door, it is an open window opportunity.

We love you so much, and you are always on our minds.

In prayer,
Aunt Janette, Uncle Gene, Ryan and Mark

p.s. I found some pants similar to your capris (with cuffs) and will think of you whenever I wear them (inside story).
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Jess -- thanks for the great news about the insurance comapny and how wonderful that the genetic study can proceed. We have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Lynne and Dave

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

Isn't God good! Just when you need some great news and some help with finance's He steps in and takes over. good luck tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jess,
Your voice sounded so happy when you shared with us the news about the genetic testing~who would have thought three months ago that the idea of having genetic testing approved would bring us so much joy? Life has a way of changing paths so drastically. Aren't we glad that the Lord is ahead of us at every turn? I love you to heaven and back again and I am so thankful to have you as my niece! You strengthen my faith!

Love,
Aunt Sandy