Sunday, April 20, 2008

A day of rest

Today was a day of rest with no therapy. I enjoyed my time reading and catching up on some various things I'd been wanting to finish.  I also got a nice visit from my mom and cousin Ashley this evening. Ashley was on her way back home from a trip, and surprised me which was fun! It was good to catch up.  

I have been in rehab now for one week and am excited with all that has happened in this short time. It makes me more excited to find out what I will be able to do with three more weeks!

I had a great and tearful time with God this morning with my devotional.  The chapter was "Refusing to be afraid of the dark". It talks about how believers will never be in total darkness as the light of Christ is in us forever.  It relates God's truth to having a baby and knowing with certainty that when the doctor says, "It's a girl!" it is truth.  You don't wake up the next morning and say, "What did we have?". You don't call your friend the following week and ask, "Do you remember if I had a boy or girl?" Once the heart knowledge of Jesus has penetrated your heart, mind and soul, God wants you to have the same certainty about Him.  No doubts; you have his light and you can never be in total darkness again.  Which brings me to another truth that is meaningful to me right now which is sometimes God allows things to grow dark in our lives in order to grow us up and teach us about Himself.  Some things we accomplish in the darkness cannot happen in other settings.

This is so true. I have learned so much about God's complete provision. Even when we are headed down an unknown path, God provides a way before we even get there, meeting our every need. I have learned about surrender, and letting God have control of each part of my life. And SO much more about the strength of family and protection of the girls, trusting God takes away fear, how to love God above all else, and trusting completely the path He has set for me...lessons learned in the dark, which is actually filled with a very bright light. My devotional says, "The treasure we find in the darkness is Him."  I love it!

Isaiah 50:10 "Who walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the Lord and rely upon his God."

Much love,
Jess



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,
We prayed for you tonight at our care group. People you've never met, you've touched through your example of faith in Our Almighty. God uses you to teach us all.
We've talked about bringing the girls out all dressed up before Kaliedescope to see you on Saturday, so if you're willing let us know. We love you and are so thankful for you are our friend!
May God continue to Bless You through this journey!
Carrie P.

Anonymous said...

So I almost cried when I read what you learned in your devotional today. My girlfriend and I have been having conversations very similar to what you're learning. And, I almost cried not because I felt convicted but because it reminded me how connected we all truly are. The Lord uses people in the most perfect of ways to say exactly what He knows we need to hear. Your darkness is different than mine, yet the lessons are the same. So...thanks for sharing and be encouraged that the Lord used you :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jessa,

One of the first things people say to me when I get to school is "How is Jessa?" They read your blog, they hear your words, they can sense your heart. Thank you for reminding me, Jess that God totally knows what He is doing and we grow along the journey. I am thankful for a great God who speaks His words through you. I pray that all those who read your blog will come to know Jesus because they know you.

Love you,
Aunt Sandy

Anonymous said...

I told your Dad today that I sometimes go to write a comment and then I feel like it is so silly or just not up to what I want to say, so I don't leave a message, but he said I shouldn't feel that way, that you appreciate all the comments and so here I am...

When I read the post before this one, I was just "blown away" (for lack of any better way of saying it)at your strength and will and courage and love of life. I always think to myself, "I want to live each day with Jessica's attributes that I admire so much. I am not always successful and even on my "better" days, I don't come close to how you live your life, but I will keep on trying. You are my inspiration. I love you dearly, sweet, wonderful Jessica. Please have someone give you a hug, a nice long hug, for me.

-Anita

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,
This is Susan from YSC. We had lunch together on Sunday of the conference. I have been keeping up with you. You are an amazing person for sure. I so appreciate the direct and specific prayers for healing. You have such faith. I did post on the board to tell all of your journey-hope that is OK. TAke Care and I will check in often! You are on your way. With Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jessica.

Thank you so much for your devotional. It's a lesson for all of us.

It reminded me of a verse:
Psalm 139:12
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.


We may see darkness, but we must remember that nothing changes for the Lord because it's all light to Him. The darkness doesn't distract Him, or frustrate Him, or keep Him from doing His work. We might become worried in the darkness, but that doesn't affect his power one bit--He is as close and powerful as always, because it's all light to Him.

'Praying for you.

Frances

katrina said...

Jessica,

What you shared has touched me. Know that through sharing your devotional and your experience with God, I feel Him working through me at a time when I really need to feel His presence.

Thank you for being such an inspiration. It must run in your family...