Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mother's Day on May 14th

I think if we can change Bryn's birthday party to a couple of weeks later we can change Mother's Day from Sunday to Wednesday. Wednesday the 14th is when Jess gets to come home! It was a great day to get her discharge date because today was also the day I met with her PT/case worker/doctor to talk about what I need to do to make the transition easier on her. To be honest I was ready to tear up the entire house and rebuild it. At the very least I was willing to tear out a tub and put in a walk-in (or wheel-in) shower. However, it looks like just one ramp for the front (thank you Dad), one ramp for the garage (thank you Alex), lower our bed by taking it off the frame, one cabinet gutting under the kitchen sink( so her wheelchair will fit under it making it possible to use the sink), one car switch-a-roo, and a widening of the bathroom door frame from 24" to 30." I think I will have to pay for a remodel on the last one-- I kind of like how the house is still standing and don't want to change that. We will also have to sell the van and buy a sedan. The van has been a huge blessing-- when Jadyn was in her body cast for her hip surgery it made transportation so much easier. Now, however, it is too tall for Jess to make a transfer from wheelchair to car chair. There are going to be some changes at the Kaylor household and I'm looking forward to it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

I think (for what it is worth!), you should celebrate both days!!!!!! I know no one more deserving of being celebrated each and EVERY day.

Love,

Anita

Lynne said...

What wonderful news!!! Love and prayers, Dave and lynne

Anonymous said...

Jake,
I love that you are even excited about the things that most of us would complain about. Change is not always bad.

Jess,
I am so happy that you are coming home soon. I'm sure you'll feel much better being in your own home.

Much love and continued prayers,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Jess, I can't think of a better day for you to come home than May 14th. That's my favorite day of the year...my birthday!!! I'm so happy with your progress. As you know, my house is totally accessable for wheel chair because of John so if you have any questions call us.
Love, Sharon Hermens
817-861-4516