Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tied Up

This year has been a special year for me with my students at school, so I told them if they were planning on getting me something they should get me a tie with their name written on the back. That way when I wear their tie, I'll think of them and remember them. Since I have started teaching at Young, I have worn a suit every day with just one casual day. Today I wore my first tie from a student. It's a fun tie because she bought me a white tie one and then wrote all over it with lots of cool words.

Sometimes bad things turn into good things, but it can take awhile. At camp, we spent most nights in cabins, but one night a week we spent it under the stars. Well one week I was paired with my bestie (that's junior high slang for best friend) at camp, Jenny. We had a great week until we got in an argument, and she got pretty mad at me. Afterward we took our kids to watch two other counselors perform a two man play. It was pretty dumb; the gist was an astronaut visited another planet except they didn't kill the savior of the world like they did on planet Earth. After the play, Jenny came up to me and said, "I can't forgive you on my own, but because of what Jesus did for me I forgive you." I was stunned for two reasons: 1) I didn't understand why a play that dumb could trigger a response like that and 2) I didn't understand what she meant. What did Jesus dying have to do with her since he died before she was born? More importantly, what did that have to do with her forgiving me?

No comments: