Sunday, May 15, 2005

It's the new orange

Jessa goes through phases where all she'll wear is green or black or blue... Previously, the hot color was orange, but now it's pink. It started with a pink purse and has since spread to shoes, shirts, pants... You probably know that pink is the color of the ribbons for breast cancer, but have you noticed the number of things you can now buy with a breast cancer theme? Jess has breast cancer hats, socks, shoes, necklaces and (I am not making this up) a breast cancer plant. Lots of our family and friends wear breast cancer bracelets now ( I do too). One of the coolest things is all the girls in Jessica's family (and she has a BIG family) wear a necklace with a silver breast cancer ribbon on it (they are going to make a charm bracelet from them when Jess is cured). Breast cancer permeates our lives.

This morning when Jess was trying on a wig, Bryn (our youngest daughter) spoke up and said that she wanted to take off her hair too. Even though she is only two, she is the funniest person I know. She loves to imitate people. One time I yelled at the Yikes to "Stop it right now." Jadyn looked scared that she was in trouble, but Bryn turned right around, imitated my posture exactly and said in her best daddy voice "Stop it right now!"

There is a benefit dinner coming up for us at Wood Elementary (where Katelyn is a student and Aunt Sandy is the principal) this Thursday. They have gone all out in preparing for it. For Jess, God has been impressing on her heart that it's not about the cancer it's about the journey. They are calling the dinner "A Journey with Jessica" and will be giving everyone a bracelet with that same slogan. To top it all off Macaroni Grill is donating the food.

Her next chemo treatment is on Thursday. I have been telling people that it is round 3, but really since she gets a triple dose it's like getting round seven, eight, and nine. She really is very brave and that includes the first day I gave her her shot (I was just kidding about what I said earlier; she barely cried and the fingernail marks on my arm are starting to fade). Did I mention that it's a big needle and it's most effective when given in the stomach? I now tell Jess to wiggle her toes so she doesn't have to think about it and she hasn't gotten another bruise, to match the ones she got in the hospital, the last two times.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of being one of the many 'all the girls in Jessica's family' girls and I will wear my breast cancer ribbon around my neck, close to my heart, until the exciting day when it will be wrapped around Jessica's beautiful wrist. Thanks for the reminder!
All my love,
Janette

Anonymous said...

We love you Jessica and continue to hold you up to the Almighty Healer in prayer. You are all in our thoughts and prayers continually. The Walkers

Kathryn Young said...

You're saving some of the Macaroni Grill leftovers for 432 right?! And, Jess, I'm so proud of you for the trust you have in your husband - not everyone would be willing to let their husband jab them in the stomach, leaving brutal bruises, and not file charges. Hats off to you! And I want you to know that I meant it when I said the wig looks great! But I'm glad you still have the self-confidence to do without from time to time too! You are so beautiful, and I love you soo much!
You're my hero(ette) - seriously!

Anonymous said...

Jake & Jess,
I can't tell you how much I love to read about "The Journey" It's one of the 1st things I do in the morning everyday. Jessica, you are so brave not only to fight cancer, but to allow Jake to come at you with a sharp needle. The only advise I have about Nurse Jake is: If he mentions the words "Remember when...?" as he's preparing the shot, I would totally stop the shot process! You two are great. Hang in there and we love you and pray for you daily.
Love,
The Whitlock's

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica --
Glad to hear you're home. :-) Keep visualizing the pac men doing their thing and the treatments being succesful, and that each treatment puts you closer to total health!

Jacob --
I can relate -- several years ago I had to administer shots to my husband's belly (after emergency surgery) -- "Mr. Chicken" did well (and in retrospect so did I), but I'm still not sure he realized how difficult it was for me to give him those shots!
It ain't easy but you do what you got to do! I pray that God gives you strength!

Health & blessings,
Susan